So, a change of pace and topic here for a little while. Three and a half years, waking up after a vote (that should never have happened and as it turns out was conducted illegally) my heart was broken. I didn’t agree that the (advisory) vote should be honoured and I don’t believe it was to destroy democracy to think that way.
In time, I hoped a way would be found to reconcile and remain in the EU but after Thursday devastating result, that hope turned to hopelessness. And frankly I’m scared. I’m scared for society, democracy, people on the brink of poverty and those already fallen into the crevasse, those relying on the wonderful NHS now and in the future and ultimately the safety of the world. I’m not ashamed to say I shed a lot of tears yesterday. Shed for everything we’ve lost for apparently very little gain.
So now, more than ever is a time for love and kindness. For the world and personally. Inspired by my great friend Lee. G and I have made a commitment to the 20/20 challenge to complete 20 things in 2020.
The twenty ‘challenges’ are personal and designed to contribute to self care, care of my community or care of the environment. They are meant to be fun but not frivolous. And a beacon of hope in a very dark time. Here’s the list…
1. Donate 20 items to charity.
2. Visit 20 new places (can be local).
3. Donate to a food bank 20 times.
4. Get back into volunteering and volunteer 20 times.
5. Spend 20 days where I don’t go online at all.
6. Read 20 books.
7. Watch 20 films I’ve not seen before.
8. Complete 20 thirty minute lunchtime walks.
9. Try 20 new exercises (dragon walk anyone?)
10. Replace 20 household/garden items with a more sustainable version when needed.
11. Pick up random street/beach rubbish 20 times.
12. Go on 20 different walks.
13. Lose 20 lbs
14. Save 20 £20 notes
15. Write 20 random cards to family & friends.
16. Do 20 random acts of kindness.
17. Do 20 things as a means of self-care (e.g. massage, or visit to art gallery or something relaxing).
18. Write 20 blog posts.
19. Cook 20 new dishes in a year.
20. Clean 20 road signs.
So, there you go. Starting Jan 1, I’ll keep you updated with how it goes.
And for those of you feeling similarly despondent at the moment. I need to borrow the words of ee cummings. ‘i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)’.
Stay strong x